Random Quote

Pharos Blogject’s quotes


"Time is but an extension of the Human desire for organization."— Richard L. Foland Jr.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Unfocused Writing

I just spent a few hours working on my next book. What do I have to show for it? A few paragraphs and a handful of notes scattered across the book.

The problem apparently is a lack of focus, brought on by frustration. Events in real life are feeding on my attention like a cancer in my brain. I want to scream! I want to cry! Most of all I want to do something that  I’ve only ever done twice in my life. I WANT TO HIT SOMEONE!!!!!

The truly funny thing is that I’m writing a book on living a Christian life and improving your “Walk With God”. Not only that, I’m supposed to be writing about forgiveness. I wasted hours and wrote one paragraph before realizing that I was not in the right frame of mind to write on that topic. So I switched to the topic of study where I made slightly better progress. I then made a few quick notes about things I want to cover in the book. A wasted effort some may say.

Lately, I’ve been letting the real world keep me from writing anything at all. The house needs cleaned so I’ll write later. So and so is late for our meeting so I’ll write later. I don’t feel motivated so I’ll write later. If I keep on this way I’ll never write anything, ever again.

So, was today’s meager output a waste of time and effort? I wrote something. I only wrote a few paragraphs (and this blog entry) but at least I wrote something. I call that a win. Now, I just need to keep on winning. No more letting the world keep me from sitting down to write. So what if I write a little or a lot at any particular sitting. No more distractions from the real world is my new mantra.

Now, if I can just convince myself to stay away from the internet when I should be writing I’ll be golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment